Theme feedback

I recently heard from a few people that they disliked the current I am ∃xistential Type theme. My overall web presence is due for an overhaul in the near future, so I figured I would solicit feedback on what people dislike about the current design.

1. kitby said,

May 17, 2007 @ 10:10 pm

For the moment, my only feedback is about color. I’m personally not a fan of orange and green as colors, but I’m not sure what to suggest there. I suppose, overall, I prefer high-contrast color schemes. For example, I’d make the main text pure black on pure white.

(Although, sometimes I wonder, why do pages specify color schemes at all? Should not viewers be allowed to set the colors to their taste? I say this, of course, while my own site enforces its/my own particular tastes in color.)

2. kitby said,

May 17, 2007 @ 10:13 pm

And a question: Is it a WebKit bug if the logo at the top of the page (e.g., http://existentialtype.net/?p=126 ) does *not* actually function as a link? I was about to complain about that, until I looked at the page source.

May 17, 2007 @ 10:16 pm

I suppose it is not unreasonable to allow the user to specify colors, or even CSS. Technically you could already do something like that with Greasemonkey (http://www.greasespot.net/) or site specific overrides as allowed by Omniweb, etc. Otherwise, it would probably require the site to manage your preferences either by having an explicit login or via some cookie scheme.

The main text already is black on white? Or something very close to white at least.

May 17, 2007 @ 10:18 pm

Firefox does not treat the logo as a link either. It could be that there is something special to the semantics for how SVG graphics and (X)HTML hyperlinks interact It definitely bugs me, but I haven’t really had a chance to look into what is going on yet.

5. Joshua Dunfield said,

May 18, 2007 @ 6:22 am

Your colors remind me of the NDP website.

I used to use Opera, where you can just hit the my-eyes-are-bleeding button (a.k.a. “User Settings” or something) to make everything look readably early-’90s.

May 20, 2007 @ 7:15 pm

Is reminding you of the NDP website a good or bad thing?

7. Joshua Dunfield said,

May 24, 2007 @ 5:10 am

It’s good, but I keep expecting people in orange scarves to jump out at me and talk about prescription drug insurance.