Absolutely done

I am finally absolutely and completely done with my doctorate. There is no doubt that I am now Doctor Washburn. On Tuesday, I deposited my dissertation, which proved to be more of an adventure than I expected.

For reasons I have not bothered investigating, LaTeX numbered the third page in the document as "ii" when it should have been "iii" (the first two pages are unnumbered).  However, this was the only mistake in terms of formatting that the ruler-lady noticed, so I only needed to reprint the pages numbered using lowercase Roman numerals.  She even offered up some of her spare sheets of the required 100% cotton, 20lb (or greater), acid free paper so that I could reprint the needed pages.  However, upon returning to Levine Hall to make the correction (\setcounter{page}{3} on the dedication page) and reprinting, I determined that we must have made an off-by-one error and the ruler-lady had given me one too few sheets.  So then I dashed off to the Penn Bookstore to purchase some more 100% cotton, etc. paper.  But I was able to get it all fixed and was even able to deposit the corrected pages without making a new appointment.

As far as double spacing goes, I went with a \baselinestretch of 1.5 as one of my colleagues said that he did so and it worked for him.  In practice, the ruler-lady did not actually ever lift her ruler from the table – not even to check the margins. She did ask me what size typeface I was using and whether my abstract was double spaced.

I have put a copy of the document that I deposited online.  I'm almost certain that the careful reader will find arbitrarily many typos, but I am also certain that I could expend an arbitrary amount of effort making it a better document and the returns were already diminishing. Still, if you do find any mistakes, please e-mail me so that I can fix them before I print up copies of the "director's cut" version via Lulu.

I am hoping that I will now have a little more time to write here on ∃xistential Type. I have a few non-typography related things that I will probably write up soon, for those of you bored by my endless tweaking of Gentzen Symbol.

11 Comments »

  1. Chris said,

    November 24, 2007 @ 12:49 am

    Many many congratulations! I remember in my case that it didn’t really seem finished until it was deposited with the administrative staff. It’s a feeling of relief that no mere committee or well-intentioned advisor can bestow. Cheers!

  2. Alan Schmitt said,

    November 24, 2007 @ 3:18 am

    Congratulations are in order! Wonderful!

    Out of curiosity, what become of these nicely printed theses?

  3. Andrew said,

    November 24, 2007 @ 10:19 am

    Congratulations! Perhaps one day I too shall finish. 😉

  4. Muli Ben-Yehuda said,

    November 24, 2007 @ 11:01 am

    Congratulations! Your thesis is a pleasure to look at. Did you publish the LaTeX source as well? I’m sure it has many interesting nuggets.

  5. Aaron Turon said,

    November 24, 2007 @ 11:50 am

    Congrats! I’ve only had a chance to glance at it, but the typesetting is gorgeous. I second the motion that you make your TeX nuggets available 🙂

  6. washburn said,

    November 25, 2007 @ 1:19 am

    @ Chris:
    Thanks! Indeed, it is quite a relief. Though it was quickly followed with the overwhelming realization that I am leaving for Switzerland on Monday.

    @ Alan:

    Thanks! I’m not sure I understand which theses you mean.

    If you mean the one I deposit on Tuesday, they send it off to be bound and then keep it in the Penn Library – until it presumably becomes old enough that they put it into long term storage.

    If you mean the nice bound copies I plan on printing through Lulu, those will go to my committee, Stephanie, my parents, and perhaps a couple other people. They will be available to anyone else at the printing cost.

    @ Andrew:

    Thanks! You’ll have to tell me what you’re up to at PDX at some point.

    @ Muli and Aaron:

    Thanks! It is quite possible I tried too hard to make it look nice 🙂

    As for the source, I’m not sure how useful that would be. It is not exactly well-commented and TeX lends itself to very cryptic code. I’ll try to post something on the general setup of the document, and then you can ask me if you have specific questions about how I did something.

  7. Alan Schmitt said,

    November 25, 2007 @ 4:53 am

    I meant the one deposited. I would like to see the “long term storage” place these are put.

  8. washburn said,

    November 25, 2007 @ 6:18 am

    @ Alan:

    I guess I’ve walked by this several times in the past month without realizing what it was: http://www.library.upenn.edu/facilities/hds/

  9. brian said,

    November 25, 2007 @ 11:39 pm

    I would be curious how you made Deja Vu Mono Sans work with TeX. I didn’t find any .otf files, and otftofd didn’t seem to work so well with the .ttf files I did find.

  10. washburn said,

    November 26, 2007 @ 2:21 am

    @ Brian:

    For Deju Vu Sans Mono (though I had to pull a few glyphs from Deju Vu Sans), I did all of the work configuring it for LaTeX by hand. That is probably one of the few parts of my dissertation that I could polish up and make available as a self-contained package.

  11. ∃xistential Type » Implementing my dissertation said,

    January 9, 2008 @ 7:34 pm

    […] I am finally getting around to writing something, as requested, about how I implemented my […]

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI

Leave a Comment